PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just finished saying it was too good to be true...
Old 20th Jul 2009, 19:00
John Marsh

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
The Memorex DVDs I have tried were a bit 'hit & miss'; actually made by CMC Magnetics, a mediocre source. LR, you might want to check who made your discs.

Kodak, surprisingly, allow their name on packs of DVDs which are made in China by Umedisc, another lower-quality make. I have had failures with these; the 'value' packs from Tesco are the same make. The manufacturer ID on my Umedisc Kodaks is AML. Lesson learned.

Maxell-branded discs can be Ritek, which is a lesser make and a guarantee of at least 1 dud per pack of 10; or Taiyo Yuden, which is highly regarded.

Blank DVD media tests: Blank DVD Media Tests - Club CDFreaks - Knowledge is Power More useful info here: Blank Media - Club CDFreaks - Knowledge is Power

Bushfiva: Interesting info on 'fake' ID codes; thanks. FWIW, the aforementioned SVP Online - SVP have a good reputation with the Club CD freaks people, with regard to selling genuine Mitsubishi, Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim discs.

I have found the Tesco-sold Sony DVDs in black, white & blue packs to be good; also their green Sony CD packs. Verbatim DVDs from PC World are reliable.

Last edited by John Marsh; 21st Jul 2009 at 09:24. Reason: Recalled detail