PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cholmondeley Pageant of Power 2009
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2009, 15:05
kneedwondean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was flying one of the Pleasure flying aircraft and our only problem was from the waiting to cross the track. I know its not long to have to wait 20minutes but it was sometimes longer than that and trying to get punters across was a nightmare, and they seemed to close it without warning at the worst possible moments. Give us a bridge next year and it would be perfect! The FISO's did a great job though, well run and helped us a great deal. Witnessed some good piloting from visiting aircraft, everyone being very helpful to us. Only one go around all weekend cant be bad.

All together a nice event, although I nearly had a mid air with some ParaMotor guy who had no radio and decided to take off from the heli parking area then change his mind and come back over the FATO to land again. I was on finals and looked at him, he looked at me and I had to dump the lever to get under him. He quickly bundled up his parachute and scuttled off before I could shout at him!

I saw that "interesting" departure from the flightline, but it probably looked worse than it was from my angle and fair enough to Joel to hold his hands up. As he mentioned, the aircraft was very light so plenty of power to get over the trees, not so sure about chances of getting it down if it all went quiet though.

This really brings me to a recurring theme - how I was suprised at the number of pilots who are happy to depart straight over the trees rather than back track the FATO. For the sake of a 30second back track to give yourself a chance of making a safe landing I really cant understand why anyone would feel comfortable being 30 ft up, over trees slow with max power pulled.

Anyway, an enjoyable event and hope to be back next year.