PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old Incident - B737 extreme pitch-up during GA at LAX
Old 20th Jul 2009, 12:55
A37575

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unusual attitude recovery which by the way is not the same as Upset Recovery Training
Thanks - I was not aware there was a difference. The Civil Aviation Safety Authority of Australia published DA 2342 entitled Flight Instructors Manual. Exercise 17 includes the sub-heading "Recovery from Unusual Attitudes" and the aim of the exercise was to recognise any unusual attitude of the aeroplane by interpretation of the instrument indications and to recover from such attitudes in the minimum time with the minimum loss of height. It further sub-divides into two types of unusual attitude; Those characterised by low speed and those characterised by high speed.

This description is generally consistent with the Boeing 737 FCTM definition of Jet Upset which includes stall recovery, nose high, wings level, nose low, wings level, high bank angles, nose high, high bank angles and nose low, high bank angles. If these are not unusual attitudes then I don't know what is.

By any interpretation I would have thought the terms Jet Upset Recovery or Unusual Attitude Recovery are interchangeable? Like throttles or thrust levers.