PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not the usual "I need an advice" thread.
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2009, 11:38
Whirlygig

Hovering AND talking

Location: Propping up bars in the Lands of D H Lawrence and Bishop Bonner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few GA companies and corporate operators run both FW and RW
A very few. Whilst holding both (A) and (H) would make you more employable by the very few operators who do both, it does seem to be rather an unnecessary expense when most operators do one or the other.

In addition, there aren't many of those operators who are prepared to keep a pilot current on both the biz jet and the corporate helicopter! Even for those few, you'll end up being either the fixed wing pilot or the heli pilot. I can only think of one operator who has pilots who do both.

Sorry Nellie, it may have been good for you but, in this day and age, I don't think it's good advice to offer to someone who doesn't have infintely deep pockets. Yes, many of the exams are common but since theory exams are the cheapest element of learning to fly, that's not really a major factor.

Capt. City Hunter, I would recommend making a decision and sticking with it! I will say though, that if you're making a decision with your head, then you are destined to be fixed wing; if you're making the decision with your heart, then you'll follow the rotary route (mainly because no sane person would do that! ). Your trial lessons in each should you decide.

Cheers

Whirls