PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2009, 10:11
airsound

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Not sure if you're making a serious point or not, Beags. It may be something to do with the fact that, as a humble ex-truckie, I haven't a clue what a Calc 2 might be.

But as for
558 doesn't need aged old beings to dampen the seat cushions and to understand the ancient electro-mechanical navigation devices which used to live in black dustbins somewhere in the bowels of the jet.
I agree about the ancient devices, (and I'm not even going to think about damp cushions) but that doesn't mean they don't need a real directional consultant.

GPS is all very well, but 558's permission status as a VMC only aircraft means that she sometimes has to thread her way between the charlie bangers en route from one display to another. On these occasions, having someone who is expert with a quarter-inch topo and stopwatch can make the difference between getting to the next show and having to divert - expensively. Clearly it's not necessary when she's taking off and landing at the display site, but that's by no means always the case.

As a founder member of SoDCAT, Andy has those qualifications in spades.

airsound

Last edited by airsound; 20th Jul 2009 at 10:54. Reason: clarification