PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice after finishing training - what do I do next (Merged)
Old 20th Jul 2009, 08:37
G SXTY

Supercharged PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dudeatstarwars

I started training in late 2000, so had a ringside seat for 9/11 and the aviation recession that followed. That put my plans back by several years, but as I'd gone modular, it meant I had the flexibility to slow things down and keep my day job. I started my CPL / IR in the summer of 2007, and frankly I was worried sick that the bubble would burst in the three months or so it would take me to get qualified - that was 2 years ago.

If you're expecting to finish integrated training at the end of this year, you would have started in the second half of last year, which suggests your research into this industry must have reached very different conclusions to mine . . . By then it was pretty obvious we were in serious economic trouble, and WWW had spent months taking abuse on here for trying to warn teenage wannabes just how bad things were about to become. That explains the frustration in many of the replies - experienced people saw this coming, but young, impressionable wannabes continued to buy the dream sold to them by FTOs desperate for cash.

That, however is by the by. You have to make the best of the situation you are in. You won't want to hear this, but as others have said, It's extremely unlikely that there will be many jobs for 200hr CPLs for at least the next two to three years. If you don't believe me, pull out your history books and read up on how the pilot job market behaved after the first Gulf War and 9/11. The way things are, I wouldn't even bother trying to keep current after you qualify. Instrument flying skills degrade incredibly quickly, and you'll just be burning money trying to keep current when there are no jobs to apply for. Finish your training, find a job - any job - that pays the bills (and maybe even starts paying off that enormous debt you'll no doubt have). Within a year, renew your IR and review the situation - is the job market any better or still the same? If it has improved by then, it might be a good time to start regaining some currency (if you can afford it). If not, you'll be wasting your money - stick to the day job.

It's been said so many times that I'm almost sick of repeating it, but timing is everything in this game. Your timing could not have been worse, but it's not the end of the world. If you can cover the bills until the job market does improve, and afford some IR practice then, so that you are reasonably current, you will eventually find a job. I have a friend who graduated from BAe (now FTE) in 2002, without a hope of employment. He managed to get work in the civil service, which tided him over until the job market picked up, then got on the CTC Wings scheme, and now flies for BA.

With enough determination (and financial support) nothing is impossible, but your choice of timing has made your task extraordinarily difficult.