PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turbulent, Jodel D9, single seaters...
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2009, 08:28
John Horovitz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbulent, Jodel D9, single seaters...

I have owned two Tipsy Nippers and a Corben Baby Ace. Both nice aircraft but the Nipper is a wonderfully designed machine despite looking like a giant bumble bee. The trouble with it is that it is aerobatic and in Raymond Cuypers book it states that virtually all Nippers in Germany crashed, due to over exuberant flying by people not necessarily qualified to perform aerobatics. The engines fitted to them were derivations of the VW and most were not terribly reliable (although I believe that Barry Smiths 'Acro' engines are excellent).

The power-off descent would come as a surprise to most pilots only having flown Cessna / Piper aircraft. They are fitted with perspex covers at the wing/fuselage junction which we thought was for picking a field when the engine failed! I have had many, many engine failures in the Nipper and can confirm that the perspex was most useful.

Have often had a thought that if a two seater Nipper with a Continental 0-200was designed and manufactured it would be a wonderful training aircraft.

John