PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates A345 Tail Strike Captain breaks his silence
Old 20th Jul 2009, 02:55
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Usual array of the 'I would have done so much better' brigade like galdian and others. Great to know you are such a top bloke mate, but I imagine the rest of us feel nothing but a sense of 'there but for the grace of God go I'. Also, some of the comments by non-aviators are frankly embarrassing in their content. Maybe if you have no knowledge or experience on this issue it would be best to keep your thoughts to yourself.

Murphy's law states that if it can go wrong it will go wrong - nowhere is that more evident than here. This is a top class captain (and possibly FO too) who went through a rigorous selection process to join Emirates. Were the Company just completely wrong and did their recruitment procedures fail in some way? No - they got a couple of highly professional aviators whose sole failings were to be human. Sure, they should have done better, but as long as such errors can happen they will happen. I guarantee that as a result of that incident procedures will have changed - therefore we have to say the procedures were incorrect. It is really not good enough to hound the crew, and crow quietly to yourself about how that would have never happened to you. Standard Arab fare as that may be, particularly if the crew is not Arab themselves, you have to tackle the systemic failing.