PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice for new instructor
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2009, 22:17
poina

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off, Congratulations!

You set the tone so be professional, and that ain't easy when you're making peanuts.
Demonstrate the preflight and make student eyeball the gas tank.
ALWAYS USE THE PAPER CHECKLIST, this can't be stressed enough, your students will thank you, even if others use GUMP and that other crap.
Teach precise and correct radio procedures. I've flown on heavy jets with guys who sound like they were in grade school.
Mark your speeds for rotation, landing, etc. I know this probably sounds crazy for small a/c but someday you and the people you teach want the job I just retired from.
Realize that flying is constantly making small changes in flt path, speed, trim, power, config, so no BIG changes are needed.
Bore the sh@t out of your students by making him fly slow flight everyday, then spice it up with sf and 500 fpm climbs and descents and timed standard rate turns. (they must be further along for this but challenge them)
Never yell or show frustration, trust me after 3/4 years it'll come by itself!
Flying is hand eye coordination skill so if you get a choice between teaching a doctor or a backhoe driver, take the bh driver.
You will push yourself beyond your limits someday and it will scare you, so learn from those days and respect your limits. Stay safe