PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice after finishing training - what do I do next (Merged)
Old 19th Jul 2009, 18:00
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put I DONT MIND flying freight etc anything.(why is that silly)
Because it sounds as if you have a bit of a shiny hat complex. Do you think flying freight is some sort of lower caste existence that warrants a comment such as "I DONT MIND"? As others have pointed out, there are very experienced airline pilots (freight, passenger and both) who are either looking for work because of redundancy, or because of the imminent threat of it! This is not simply a UK phenomenon it is global. Nobody needs 200 hour pilots at all. Rarely has there been a time when anybody did. In recent years there has been an expansion of integrated training courses tied to a number of airlines type rating courses that have provided some "cadet" input to airlines. This has led a lot of people to believe that a licence = an airline job. For a few it was true, for the majority it was a fallacy. Even for the few, it required a rapid growth strong economy, with plenty of expansion on the part of the carriers, coupled with the expectation of reduced terms and conditions for the "cadet."

Unfortunetaly you are (like most people) caught between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand your experience will be buried by that of the realistic competition for any serious flying jobs. At the other extreme those companies that may still seek "cadets" will want to make those applications a source of revenue and profit. A lot of these schemes will seek MPL type applicants (for which you are too qualified.) Others will require to you invest a great deal more money to obtain type ratings with no further guarantee of either meaningful or long term employment at the conclusion of that training.

Ordinarily my advice to you would be, to sit down and take stock of your situation. Set your sights at a realistic level commensurate with your experience and seek any jobs that might raise that basic experience level. Network. Keep your ear to the ground. Read every agency / magazine / internet job vacancy going and send a simple clear accurate CV to any and all realisic prospects. Knock on doors, visit flying clubs and schools, and ask them if they either have or envisage any jobs that will even get you near an airplane. Invest in a lot of postage stamps. In the meantime look for any work that will increase your personal revenue stream. Reduce your outgoings as much as possible. Look at ways of increasing your flying experience at your own expense within a revised time/cost structure.

By all means apply for anything and everything. Most of the time your application will probably be dismissed at the first hurdle. It will however cost you little more than the price of the paper, ink and a postage stamp, and nobody will hold it against you. It has always taken a lot of effort to progress in aviation and it probably always will. In the current and forseeable future it will be particularly difficult, and there will be an even higher rate of attrition. With this in mind you should plan for a much longer period of advancement and do your level best to survive it financially.

Here at the top of the tree, the 3 "R's" are Recession, Retrenchment and Redundancy. The question you should be asking yourself, is what do you feel you could or should do next?