PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.S. pilots will not be armed... (merged)
Old 25th May 2002, 17:33
D 129

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any other ways to incapacitate terrorists ?

It's already been said that most Europeans put highest priority in getting the ground security right rather than taking firearms on the flight deck ... I tend to agree ...

But if the terrorists are on board, then how do PPRuNe members rate their chances ?. Presumably pilot training counsels co-operation and let the security forces do their work. (Obviously no help for September 11th).

Sky marshals are occasionally discussed - but if people start exchanging fire on board, how robust is the aircraft ... (let alone PAX in the cross fire ...) Stun guns presumably lack range ...

My question is - are there any other viable ways to prevent an aircraft being taken over once the terrorists are on board ?.

Cockpit doors may not be much use if the cabin crew are going to be murdered any second unless you open up ...

What about rapidly decompressing the aircraft ?. Could it be done quickly enough to be of use ?. ("Knock out" gas in the Oxygen system is presumably only in Hollywood ...).

Some of this may seem a bit naive to more seasoned crew ... but all I'm suggesting is that more options for flight crew would be good ...

D 129