PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway behind you.
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2009, 07:47
postman23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well spoken Guppy, although I do not have the tire temp issue on my dinky little jet.

The preceeding 2 replies indicate to me that more people prefer full length when available. The point I was trying to make is that there is always going to be some beancounter who thinks some modification of an existing practice will generate additional revenue, whether that will be through fuel or taxi time or duty regulations optimisation.
In the end that extra cash will not land in your lap, if it is actually generated in the first place. Traditionally it is used to downsize the budget for the following year, which in return requires alteration of yet another practice. Scrapping crew meals for example. In my previous operation, it became close to mandatory to accept intersection take-offs for 'traffic reasons'. Nobody bothered to think about the fact that we (medium category) now needed 3 mins after a heavy departure from the full length.
Long story short: most of the time we ended up idling at the intersection for an additional some mins to accomodate other traffic. Where is the logic in that?

Pilots are go-minded people with ridiculous levels of flexibility. Under the header of "Yes it can be done" this industry has seen erosion of sensible practices for no truly valid reasons. With all respect; if an airline's survival depends on whether they depart from an intersection or taxi out an extra 30 seconds, I think their financial pressure is beyond healthy.

My 2cts anyway.