PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates A345 Tail Strike Captain breaks his silence
Old 19th Jul 2009, 00:51
galdian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Al.E

Sorry you believe my posts nothing more than drivel, I have points to raise which I believe are valid, apologies if you find them not worth consideration.

Cutting to basics:
- yes I am a pilot, shorthaul, do my 90-95 hours with just an F/o, no supp crew, I get tired occasionally
- I am not generally vitriolic towards my fellow aviators but I will be critical towards those who do not understand, or accept, the ultimate responsibility of Command/PIC
- to my knowledge the captain involved has NEVER stated that, yes, he made an error, the buck stops with him
- he makes generalised statements that only allude to fatigue - there well may have been a fatigue factor - but it is others who are talking about fatigue directly NEVER the captain concerned
- there were a total of 4 persons on the flightdeck who are all paid to be professional pilots and NONE of them twigged "it just didn't seem right", if the captains of the present and future can do no more than push buttons and are incapable of thinking/feeling about what's happening and incorperating commonsense then god help the airline industry.

When this captain accepts responsibility AND drives the argument about the factors that may have contributed to this situation to raise awareness/create discussion and hopefully put some pressure on regulators I will start to have some respect.
I remain convinced that present and future captains who do not understand, or accept, the final responsibilty should do aviation a service, and improve aviation safety immeasurably, by retiring and getting a 9 to 5 job at the post office.

And yes - there are a whole heap of issues surrounding Emirates (and others) that should be confronted and dealt with by regulators around the world; if only wishing made it so!

I'm just amazed no-one's jumped in yet and blamed it on a faulty thronomeister!

cheers all