PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 19th Jul 2009, 00:26
SASless

Received 517 Likes on 215 Posts
Iceberg,

Questionable approach to helicopter safety you seem to have.

Am I correct in assuming you feel there is no value in discussing safety issues before, during, or after flight....to include incidents, accidents, injuires, and deathes that result from them.

Is it you resent the questions, the answers, lack of answers, or the fact one must confront such issues at all when you object?

Tragedies such as this one should be mined for all the positive value we can find as otherwise it would be a real waste of money and people if we did not. It is the lessons we learn from these events that help prevent future tragedies. That can only be done by a fair, reasonable, objective discussion of all the factors and issues that pertain to the event.

As to pointing out anyone's weaknesses.....is that not what a proper safety program is all about? Does it matter whose ox gets gored if the outcome is an improvement in the operational safety for those of us who are flying the line and living with the inherent risks of our occupation.

The key is to be able to live long enough to become an old Fart and retire. I did that....with an accident/incident free career. Perhaps in time you might do so as well although the odds might be against you if you really feel the way you suggest about cowboying up and damn the risks.

The goal is to minimize risks by identifying those that exist and mitigating the ones that can be eliminated, cured, or reduced. That requires and open, free, objective discussion of the issues.

I have been criticized before for being a strong advocate for safety....but then I have seen way too many friends killed as a result of safety failures during my flying career that started in 1967. I see posing questions as a way of soliciting information or generating a discussion. If that offends you then you will have to get used to it.