PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dakota c/n 9043 G-AKNB (FD789) Photo. Is there one out there.
Old 18th Jul 2009, 16:01
SilverCityKid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-AKNB

I remember G-AKNB very well from her time with Silver City at Blackpool.

As far as I know, all the time she was owned by Silver City/BUA/BU(CI)A she was based at Blackpool. She was bought from BEA along with G-ALPN.

She was never used on cross-channel air-ferrys and was never based in the Channel Islands (to the best of my knowledge)

G-AKNB had double doors, resumably having been used by BEA as a freighter at some time.

G-ALPN was a proper "Pionair" with a single drop down door with steps built in and a small luggage door to the rear of the main door. Silver City soon removed the steps and made the door side opening to reduce weight. (My father worked on the conversion)

Both these aircraft upon arrival at Silver City were given what was called the "Transair Mod", which comprised of fitting fibreglass undercarriage doors which were closed by bungee rubbers and fitted against the protruding mainwheels and improved the single engined take-off performance. Both aircraft also were also fitted with disc brakes at the same time as the short hops Blackpool / Isle of Man burnt out the original Bendix drum brakes in next to no time.

How wonderfull that this old lady is still flying in the USA.