PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICE crystals
Thread: ICE crystals
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2009, 13:01
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't know that Boeing was an engine manufacturer, as you really insist that is a type related question...
Question was about possible crystal icing on hot sections of engine.
And don't worry, your SOP will be amended soon by Boeing (if not already), you might even get a tech bulletin on crystal icing.
I don't mean to pick the above quote apart, just to add on.

Boeing and Airbus etc. both have the advantage of knowing all the ins and outs of engine icing just simply due to their oversight of the various engine manufacturers products.

Ice is not unique to any one engine, however the response of the engine to ice may be unique to where it does accrete and how big it is when it sheds. I use the word shed because with today's gas turbines it doesn't melt before it is blown off the surface simply by windage. In some cases the ice buildup and shed is big enough to damage the compressor blades and cause enough damage to cause an engine stall or rundown in RPM (flameouts are rare). In other cases if the ice blocks an important engine sensor the engine begins to lose its mind (FADEC is confused).

There isn't much you can do to avoid ice crystals if you are flying over the top of weather. The engine manufacturers through Boeing and Airbus can advise you on how to handle the engine once it has exhibited symptoms so forget about all these words of wisdom (including my own) and follow the updated procedures.

I will admit that I was confused about the original question and its use of the word "hot sections". I tend to associate that definition with areas in the engine behind the burner. However if the question was about metal temperatures on probes and vanes simply above the melting point of ice > 32F then this thread discussion applies.