PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Home of Photos in Dunnunda! Mk I
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2009, 10:12
VH-XXX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the CASA just happily sign off on an airframe that doesn't meet basic standards of workmanship? that does say VH on the tail...er fuselage.
Ozbusdriver, more interesting is your comment than mine. What am I getting at? CASA don't sign off experimental aircraft, however approved delegates do. BUT those delegates only sign off that they witnessed YOU (as the builder) perform your final inspection. In theory they are not allowed to offer advice to you (due to insurance / liabiliy etc) and they are not required to perform stage inspections, so you rock up with a fully built aircraft, perform your inspection, they give you a C of A and you fly away with no more to pay..... hopefully. The aircraft could be built with brown paper bags and elastic bands from Australia post and legally they cannot stop you from flying it. They can however impose restrictions upon you. For certified engines, it's 25 hours in the designated area and 40 for non-certified engines, however if they feel your craft *might* be unairworthy, they can assign a greater period. Once that test period is passed, you have nil restrictions, eg NVFR, IFR, etc, assuming you have the required gear.

It's the same under RAA too. They witness you perform the final inspection and you're all done.

(Slightly scary really).