PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2009, 07:22
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Walter Kennedy:
Chugaqlug2
I wish you would stop posting twisted versions of the scenario I have tried to describe – it should not be necessary and correcting wastes time.

Walter, if I have done that then I apologise, it certainly has never been my intention. You are right to say it is not necessary. However I do try to comment on what I perceive to be your scenario in my own words and from my perspective. That surely is allowable. Thus "cowboy" is shorthand for a procedure lacking airmanship, which is what I believe the one you describe to be. Comparing a handheld transceiver with a ship's calibrated and approved TACAN installation is nonsense Walter, and I suspect that you know it is. Your procedure is reckless in anything other than VMC. Anyone who authorised it any other way was reckless. Anyone who flew it any other way was reckless. It may well be that it is used any other way in operational environments, looking for downed aircrew in theatre for example. This was no such scenario. They had 25 pax on board and were supposedly en route to Fort George. If what you say is right then the pilots were indeed responsible for this accident, though to what degree is debatable I'll allow. Sorry Walter that's my take. As I keep saying better someone more qualified than I gives it the "DS" verdict.