PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fury at Def Sec over Helicopter Shortage
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2009, 06:22
MaroonMan4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jolly,

You are right, which Navy would buy CH47? But then again, which Navy has its Commando/amphibious assets cut down so much that it has to borrow Air Force CH47 to get the job done, all under the premise of a Joint Command. Also it is widely recognised that in most cases the CH47 satisfys most of the lift requiements for both amphibious and land forces.

I am sure that if we do embark (forgive the pun) down the re-roling of CHF to CH47 then either deck space will be made available (off load the other rotary wing assets to other boats (Albion/Bulwark/RFAs etc).

If we assume that CHF (as part of JHC) will also support land as well as amphibious forces (as 3 Cdo Bde currently does) then as per the CH47's operations from the back of the O Boat since 1998/9 (including Al Faw) it has proven to increase lift considerably without a blade fold in sight.

And I believe that CH47 will still be a requirement in the battlespace in the next 10-15 years, and can cope with all environments. Of course I am naturally going to be a supporter of the CH47 - to me it is one of the few aircraft that genuinely does what is advertised on the tin.

My main reason for dismissing other aircraft types is that the UK IPT, DES, DEC ALM and JHC already has experts on its staff, has a system in place (training, logisitcs, TLS), has the experience (both good and bad) and therefore has better chance at seeing the industry hoodwinking and contractual poo traps.

In order to deliver a timely increase in battle helicopter lift effect to ground forces I would suggest that the solution is to increase the system that we already have in place. That is the main challenge I believe.

From a personal perspective I believe that we can all do 'blue sky thinking' and yet again re-visit the 'what if' but I believe the moment we start to go over the old (and new) ground of Mi 17, AB139, CH53, NH90 etc then we instantly add years and years onto any procurement, when actually when we look at the operational analysis, physically go on operations (across the entire spectrum of conflict) and do the job then a force mix of CH47, Merlin, and AH are doing a superb job, just not enough of them.

It is the Puma and Sea King that are currently the airframes that have been woefully neglected and patched up like your grandma's car. Although not my personal choice I can see why the funding for Puma LEP has been approved as the Puma does have a smaller disc area/loading than the CH47/Merlin.

Therefore by default it is the wheezy Sea King capability that needs not only the immediate attention, but could potentially deliver the quickest turn around of air and groundcrew to deliver an increase to the troops on the ground (and along the way satisfy the NAOs concern regarding a 60% (?) shortage in amphibious lift). The arrival of the Merlin and Lynx T800 could give the majority of Sea Kings fleet time/breathing space to re-role (in time to pick up the downgraded HC3s or to take on the new CH47Fs?).

Again, back to DEC ALM/ JHC - when the decision is made to re-role the Commando Sea King, what does DEC ALM/JHC want from the amphibious capability? Does it want a CHF force mix of Merlin (i.e. Nurse's Italian assault) and CH47? Or does it want a single capability for logisitics/fleet management purposes (i.e. CHF all Merlin or all CH47)? Do the crews return to Yeovilton or are they absorbed into Benson and Odiham?

When this fundamental question is answered, then a truly efficient and rapid transition can take place. As I have said, these are not new questions.

Last edited by MaroonMan4; 18th Jul 2009 at 06:35.