PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2009, 23:40
Lemurian

Sun worshipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aguadalte
Further, I understand your explanation of the fuel figures used by AF. I just don't think they are in the spirit of the law.
As that fuel calculation method has been validated by the DGAC and all the aurthorities AF operates into in Europe, your comment is moot.

These guys had one hour and six minutes of flight worth in fuel
Sorry. I should have said : these guys had one hour and six minutes extra fuel in hand to use as they chose.

having in mind the completeness of the flight, provided they would have to re plan, having in mind (EU OPS 1 (again...)
If you looked at the annexes of the BEA report, you'd find the different plans proposed to them : one with a refile possibility, using Borfeaux as initial destination, one at M.81 direct and the last one at M.82 direct, which they decided on, leaving a few passengers behind (Those that the news called "miraculously saved at the last minute" ), because of the extra 900kg or so that the Captain decided on.

A last point, the "arrogant" bit was not addressed to you. You and I may not agree on details but I resent comments by some people whose only link to aviation is a flightsim and think they are entitled to pass judgment on a crew perceived actions...generally with nothing else but prejudice.

Jag6 :
Actually, I think that this statement needs examination.
ADS-C is reporeted "on test" in the Dakar FIR, and generally, it doesn't work.
So HF is used...They're still with Atlantico, with whom they received a positive selcal check...Calling Dakar is altogether another matter and generally, the most successful way would be to monitor the VHF frequency and ask for a relay from a preceding aircraft. so you're stuck in a catch 22 situation : to get an ADS contact, you'd need a positive HF contact with Dakar who then generates an actual flight plan.
And no communication for 25 minutes is certainly not unheard of in those regions.
So what's your point ?