PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - yaw damper during x winds
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2009, 17:30
Bruce Waddington

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Snorboggler,

In our operation we turn the Yaw Damper off for landing.

The Lear 45 manuals are not the best I have worked with and you must read between the lines a little to understand why we believe there is a requirement to have the Yaw Damper off for landing .

The Limitations Chapter of the FAA Approved Flight Manual states that;

"On aircraft 45-002 thru 45-225 NOT modified by SB 45-55-6, the yaw damper must be engaged for all flight operations except take-off and landing."

"On aircraft 25-226 and subsequent and prior aircraft modified by SB 45-55-6, yaw damper use is not required."

So, there is no clearly stated prohibition against landing with the Yaw Damper on but the implication is there that it should be off for take-off and landing . Also, in the FAA AFM there is no requirement in any normal or abnormal checklist to turn the Yaw Damper off for landing which might lead you to beleive that landing with the Yaw Damper on is ok.

But, and this is a big but, if you choose to leave the Yaw damper on for landing something happens during the landing roll ........

Your job is to get into the systems chapters and tell me what that is :-)) I think then you will agree that the Yaw Damper should be off for landing

I look forward to reading the results of your search.

best regards,

Bruce Waddington

edited for spelling error

Last edited by Bruce Waddington; 17th Jul 2009 at 18:26.