PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 6
Thread: Ryanair - 6
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2009, 09:09
eu01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This morning in Irish Times:
The EU competition commissioner Neelie Kroes is no pushover. Nicknamed “Nickel Neelie” by the media which compares her rise in politics to that of former British prime minister “iron lady” Margaret Thatcher, she has taken on some of the biggest beasts in business and politics and won the day. Ryanair boss Michael O’Leary has suffered the indignity of seeing the 67-year-old Dutch competition commissioner block his proposed takeover of Aer Lingus.
(...)

“It was an unacceptable deal that he placed on the table; there is no doubt about that. But I was also aware that I was facing a guy who had broken up a protected air policy in Europe. So on the one hand I had great respect for what he had done for Europe and for consumers,” says Kroes, who adds that it is possible that changing circumstances would enable a merger between the two Irish airlines to go ahead some time in the future.
And indeed, the MOL's anti-protectionism policy did change a lot on the European skies. But don't tell me Ms. Kross is Ryanair's worst enemy. The possible harm to them could result from their own policies rather and not due to the commissioner's decision. Just keep telling people about fee-loos and ‘vertical seating’... laughing is healthy, but they laugh at you.