PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 17th Jul 2009, 08:35
albatross

Received 156 Likes on 78 Posts
SASLess sorry if I was not clear:

12:26:26 St. John's radar records the last radar return of CHI91 at 300 feet.

12:26 Gander ACC advises search and rescue that CHI91 has ditched. Cougar dispatch confirms the ditching with search and rescue, and advises that they will launch Cougar 61 as a rescue helicopter.

12:42 A Provincial Airlines patrol aircraft arrives at crash site and observes two people in orange immersion suits in the water.

13:07 Cougar rescue helicopter departs St. John's.

13:25 Cougar rescue helicopter arrives at crash site and spots two people (one of whom is later confirmed dead), two rafts and helicopter debris.

13:33 Cougar rescue helicopter lowers a rescue person toward the people in the water.

A/C overhead 16 minutes after impact.

Rescue helicopter overhead 59 minutes after impact

Rescue swimmer lowered 1:07 minutes after impact.

In my opinion that is very fast crash response in Canada or the US. Big countries.

In many parts of Canada you are advised not expect rescue for at least 24 Hours. They do everything possible to get there sooner but sometimes the nearest asset is thousands of miles away.

Of course I believe the concern of a delayed SAR recovery of folks in the water would be an issue in the crew's decision.

What I am disagreeing with the rig workers saying that they were not happy with the SAR time of the rescue S-92.

To be on scene any sooner there would have had to be a SAR machine just about running on the ground.

Of course we would like to have a helicopter overhead immediately and for all to be rescued.