PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2009, 06:28
Goosequill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cliffnemo and uniforms and kit

Hi Cliff,

Thanks for the lowdown on the acquisition of the kit - a fascinating tale in itself. So you kept your mum knitting for victory? I'm sure she was delighted to do it.

The stores bods seem to have many legends surrounding them. I was told of one huge item that was lost (forget what) and would have resulted in a court martial for someone, but was solved by the stores magician putting in a loss report for a minor accessory associated with the item. Then, after that had been accepted, he put in an innocent-looking amendment slip with the code for the item itself. It worked.

£500 is a weeny bit high for a WWII helmet - unless in perfect condition and with all the electrics. After years of looking I did eventually find one the right size for my own noddle for open cockpit flying, and Headsets at Shoreham dragged out their crate of WWII acessories to provide me with a brand-new loom, converters for NATO jack and two-lead, and a pre-amp - but that DID cost - but at least it also came with a cert as fit for use.

Is you own helmet retrievable with a spot of leather conditioner? It is wonderful stuff...

Cheers,

Dave