PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1,750 jobs to go at Qantas
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2009, 03:59
The Black Panther

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knock Knock

It is wrong of me to be bewildered by the total lack of engagement Qantas management exercise. The media, as well as employees were told 1750 to go!!
While I welcome that know no one I know on the coal face has been asked to leave it is concerning that management has in fact added new positions (in QF Eng) while a handful of the PIA purveyors have found other employment. Shareholders are surely watching this stagnate Qantas management pondering and dithering. As usual they seem to wait for an external event to make their decisions for them.

It is over two years since the Melbourne engineers were given redundancies and six months less since Brisbane engineers were asked to EOI for redundancy. While about 15% went immdeiately no one has been given the basic employee respect and told offically the redundancies have been cancelled. We wait and wait and wait. Hung out to dry. We were taught about 'change' mentality. I am yet to see change in QF Engineering apart from the buggery campaign now in stealth mode. They treat there customers with the same contempt as ANZ found out.

Brisbane International is awaiting a new roster, they have been waiting since Nov 2007, they now expect to see a second Gateway bridge completed before management makes a decision. Add that to the Airport extension and it will be a record that should be around for a few years.

Jetstar at Coolangatta is another 'coal burner' project. For 9 months is has been run ad-hoc with Brisbane based engineers putting their lives at risk driving 260km a day to support the favourite son of QF since IASA could not pay the right dollars to attract someone. Will management make a decision on the long term answer, in your dreams? Someone will have a driving accident before they wake up to themseleves.

I have no faith in the QE managers appointed they appear to be puppets who can not or will not make a decisions that would allow enginnering to move on with transparency, openess and engagement. The last correspondence from Eng management was 31May. If no one is going.... then tell us, we have lives to plan as well. Perhaps they are actually our secret saviours and hoping the economy turns around before they make there final decision....yeh that's it OF COURSE!!

Where would this company be if not for the monopoly of the brand?