PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reduced layovers at V Australia
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2009, 00:53
KRUSTY 34

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Prior to first layng eyes on the VA employee contract for pilots, I had thought that T&C's for airlne pliots couldn't go much lower. My critism of what I (and many others) saw as not only inadequate, but more importantly a contract with more holes than a slice of swiss, and about as thin, was derided by some with a level of venom that frankly I found surprising.

I have been on the recieving end of dodgey rostering practices in the past. Rosters and schedules are written by people with little or no knowledge of what being a professional pilot really means. They are outcome focused, and will use any means at their disposal to get the job done. If that requires exerting "preasure" due to inadequate industrial protection, you had better believe they will do it. Having an incompetant and self serving regulator only adds to their arsenal.

From what I have seen, and been told, there ae 2 basic types of VA pilot (Flame suit on) Firstly, the returning expat with the required heavy jet experience, willing to accept lower T&C's as a means to get home to the greatest country on Earth. And who can blame them. Secondly, the optomistic and less experienced pilot willing to accept appalling T&C's with no defined career path, on the chance that the situation may change for the better!

If any of you guys believe that the situaion will become better soley by the good graces of your employer, then I think it's time to accept reality. VA management have used a waffer thin employment contract to quash dissent. Change will only come about by being united. With a pilot group with different agendas, that may be easier said than done. If you don't unite however, the guys pulling the strings will simply pull tighter and tighter.

But I suppose you all did read the contract!