PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Defense Budget - What would you do?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2009, 20:49
Widger

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Cut massive swathes of admin & bureacracy out of the MoD in all areas
A very sweeping statement. Give us an example.
Contractorise even more functions but streamline the bidding process
What do you think smart acquisition is trying to do. What do you think has happened over the last 10 years with the amalgamation of two organisations, DPA and DLO into what is now DE&S.
Reduce the number of Senior Officers in all 3 Services massively - the "pyramid" needs to be flatter & the reporting/ admin structure really needs to be examined to see where it is adding value & where it is adding "nausea"
Notwithstanding the fact that what you actually are alluding to is to make the pyramid sharper, not flatter, it is always a good soundbite for many to use this argument. Give us some examples then.
Combine Commands/ Functions (eg CAS & CinCStrike, 1SL & CinCFleet etc)
Already happened. 2SL and CincFleet into Navy Command, Strike and PTC into Air.
Bring the Army back from Germany so that they can spend their money in the UK
They are already coming back.
Must be some more Airbases that can close (unless they are needed to house the Army returning from Germany)
Already happening, Lyneham and Scampton, Gutersloh....But be very careful, once you lose a runway or a wharf, you will never get it back. far better for our airfields to be used for other Defence use.
Close BRNC Dartmouth & conduct initial Naval Officer training either at HMS Raleigh or in a joint service estlishment with professional training at HMS Collingwood (eventually Collingwood would have to close, too, & move its functions to Raleigh
)Now you are just showing your Senior Rate engineer bias. Move everything to Raleigh and Collingrad. Dartmouth generates income and I am not sure that the land is MODs to sell anyway. (please correct me if I am wrong) and what do you think the Defence Training Review is doing at St Athan?
Close Portsmouth Naval Base & shift all RN ships to Devonport (pity they have just announced the opposite move for FF/DDs)
Oh please..so you are an ex Guzz based WE rating with a chip about Pompey. These issues have been examined already and presented to Government. the decision was and is to move several ships to Portsmouth, Submarines to Scotland and keep FOST and the amphibious ships in Guzz, where.....surprise, surprise...they will be next to their main customer...the Royal Marines, in Devonport, Stonehouse and Chivenor. Sounds like common sense to me.

In summary, my point is, that it is very easy for uninformed, armchair politicians to spout utter drivel (yes I am being rude) on here, which has clearly not been researched and does absolutely no favours to those people who are trying to juggle the realities of a lack of money and are looking at having to take some very real and unpalatable decisions..IN ALL THREE SERVICES. Now..Get back to Rum Ration and have a nice evening

Last edited by Widger; 16th Jul 2009 at 21:17.