PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beagle Pup Query.
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2009, 19:03
Oldpilot55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard the over engineered comment before..I'm not an engineer but I would describe our Pup (G-PUPP) as well built.
We cruise at 100 knots and burn 32 litres an hour..slow compared with Rod's Ban-bi and less fuel efficient but we didn't have to build it and the purchase price was less.
We've never had trouble getting bits but we've only owned it 2 years.. a new flap motor last year and a refurbished oil temperature gauge is about all we have had to replace.
I admit the previous owner had a very hefty annual but a previous owner was a Mr Peter Teischman who many have described as a perfectionist. That is an injustice to his meticulous nature.
We've never had a problem with the doors but I've heard the comment about the doors before. They lock with a very resounding clunk..so far so good.
GPUPP has the 36 gallon tanks, basically two extra tanks outboard of the 24 gallon tanks and feeding into them by gravity. Five fuel drains to check though.
Our was low hours (1200 hours in 36 years) but, as explained above, meticulously maintained by perfectionists. Am I happy with it? 100% It flies like a dream, as Rod says not fast, sure another 20 knots would be great but then if it did 120 knots I would still want another 20 knots.
Pups do not always wish to leave the ground (particularly 100 hp versions) but they can handle roughish fields. The whole plane is built to last. There are some real Pup 100 enthusiasts at Bagby and they love the little engine version.
Ours was one of the last to be built..I think 173 were built in total..not a bad total for a nationalised industry, yes they were undepriced but not many folk would consider a PA28 superior to a Pup.

Last edited by Oldpilot55; 16th Jul 2009 at 19:06. Reason: Missed a bit!