PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2009, 17:39
Will Fraser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PJ2

The engine failure causing power interruption in the reasearch pre-AD is not at issue here. Neither is the TO mode. The linkage is what happens when PRIM1 is inop/unselect, and the trim is set to zero, and an inability to correct it with any means, until the second computer resets. To me, this isn't more than just another serious problem to deal with on a FD with serious issues of mysterious severity presenting to pilots who have (ostensibly) had the a/c handed back to them (automatically)

I will keep in mind what ACARS has reported (demonstrably after the fact), and assess what the avenues of handling were, as available to the PIC. (Excuse the bolding, it isn't meant to appear confrontational).

takata

I'm not assuming, I use the Data in the AD. I am however, noting that ACARS is not the FDR. If pitots are involved (it is said they are), Ua/s in combination with a PRIMinop state, unknown a/s or attitude (IRU) a nose down increasing a/s would be unknown to the crew, but if on determining a nose up was necessary and initiated with the ELEV inop (see AD), an input that was correct could be enhanced by a returning ELEV function, to the value of as much as an additional 3 degrees NU notwithstanding a lack of Pitch authority at all. At an already seriously overspeed conditon, further pitchup (by a reentering FC) could cause serious damage even without an upset. This is actually suggested by ACARS. If in Alt Law 2 but no elevator function is available, try to transit to Direct Law, only to find that the HS trim (manual) is woefully insufficient to command recovery.

Will

Last edited by Will Fraser; 16th Jul 2009 at 18:23.