PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fury at Def Sec over Helicopter Shortage
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2009, 14:39
chopper2004

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts
Video: British Army chief forced to use US helicopter in Afghanistan - Times Online

The head of the Army was accused of playing politics after he flew around Afghanistan in an American helicopter and demanded more equipment for British troops.
General Sir Richard Dannatt made clear that he would have flown in a British helicopter if one had been available and called for greater urgency over the supply of new equipment.
Hours later David Cameron confronted Gordon Brown in the Commons about the provision of helicopters. In furious exchanges, Mr Brown was forced to reject accusations that the shortage of RAF Chinook or Sea King helicopters had contributed to soldiers’ deaths.
General Dannatt, who retires on August 28 as Chief of the General Staff, travelled by Black Hawk helicopter to visit troops in Sangin. Operation Panther’s Claw has claimed 17 British lives, and troops taking part have been ferried by American helicopters.
Related Links

Multimedia

When asked why he flew in a Black Hawk General Dannatt replied: “Self-evidently . . . if I moved in an American helicopter it’s because I haven’t got a British helicopter.”
He said that Britain and America shared assets in Helmand. “But we’ve got to put as much into the pool as we need to take out of it,” he told Radio 4’s Today programme: “I would like to get more energy behind it if we possibly can.”
Labour seized on his remarks as a deliberate political comment on the shortage of British helicopters in Afghanistan. One senior Labour MP said: “The Army has a proud record of keeping out of party politics and the Chief of the General Staff should be very careful about his interventions.” A junior minister went farther, accusing General Dannatt of “playing politics” and saying: “This is a very difficult time and he should know better.”
Ministers fear that General Dannatt will launch an all-out attack on government policy when he retires as head of the Army next month. As a senior civil servant leaving a sensitive post he will receive a formal reminder of the rules limiting what he can disclose.
Downing Street said that the Prime Minister had “full confidence” in General Dannatt. Asked whether his remarks were “purely military”, Mr Brown’s spokesman said: “Yes.”
Ministers, however, made clear that they were angry that General Dannatt briefed Tory MPs about the request — rejected by Mr Brown — for an additional 2,000 troops for Afghanistan.
Earlier, Mr Cameron confronted Mr Brown during Prime Minister’s Questions. He said: “Isn’t the reason why we don’t have enough helicopters that we didn’t plan to have enough helicopters? When [Mr Brown] looks back to 2004 and his decision to reduce the helicopter budget by £1.4 billion, does he remember that the National Audit Office said that year there was a considerable deficit in the availability of helicopter lift? Does he now recognise that decision was a bad mistake?”
The Prime Minister replied: “I believe we are making the provision that is necessary both for helicopters and equipment on the ground. We will do everything we can . . . to support our brave and courageous Armed Forces, who are professional and determined and will have our full support.”
He said that the number of helicopters had risen by 60 per cent in the past two years. He added: “I ask the Conservative Party to look at the statements being made by those who speak for our Armed Forces on the ground. They have made it absolutely clear that in this particular instance, while the loss of life is tragic and sad, it is not to do with helicopters.”

Here is my analysis:

At a rough guess, how many exchange pilots that went to sunny Rucker, over the years have got H-60 stick time? 10, 15 ,20 in the Corps? I am hoping not counting the ones retired and ETPS staff nor RAF SHF

Where I am leading up to is what if the DoD loaned us x amount of Blackhawks say a squadron's worth, trained up the aircrewman and its good if there are 15-20 pilots already have flown the H-60 while on exchange. Or put it under RAF markings, obviously under the JHC umbrella with mixed crews than fingers crossed the numbers may (thats a big may).

Then there is the training of the ground crew to consider (this was raised in 1994/1995 when during ops in Bosnia, the US Army offered to loan A model Apaches as there was sufficient aircrew already trained on exchange but the ground support for the aircraft were not equipped or trained to handle the AH-64A)