PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest 737 lands at Yeager Airport after hole in fuselage
Old 16th Jul 2009, 14:05
wileydog3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capital Airlines in either late 1950s or early 1960s lost two airplanes in the same day - a Viscount near BAL, and a Connie at CRW, off the end of the RWY.
First, the length of the runway is not so much the issue. The landing illusions are the prime consideration and the winds are next. Landing on 23 you have rapidly rising terrain and initially you appear very high and when the terrain upslope begins, it looks as if you are descending rapidly. The runway slope and the airfield on top of the plateau add to the distorted image. We went in their often in the YS-11, 737 and 727 at PI.

The thing that surprised me the most about CRW was on a run downtown and there on the river was a huge Coast Guard cutter. It had come up from the Gulf on the Mississippi and then the Ohio. I think I have my geography right but the rivers are navigable all the way to Pittsburgh. ??

The Capital Connie went down the hill backwards.
Charleston, WV Air Liner Slides Off Runway, May 1959 | GenDisasters ... Genealogy in Tragedy, Disasters, Fires, Floods