PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates A345 Tail Strike Captain breaks his silence
Old 16th Jul 2009, 13:39
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've picked up a second transmission from EARTH, seems to be a bit easier to read than the first one:
Why [does] everybody here think that they are god's gift to aviation and sort of an alien pilot from outer space who is error and mistake free?

All you can do in this job is learn from others' mistakes and hope you will be here long enough to learn all the mistakes, which will never happen, we all are limited in our abilities and this shows in everything we do whether it's driving a car or any other machinery: so as long as you are limited like the rest, you have no right to criticize.

Just sit back, relax and learn so you will not be the next story. This profession as you all know is not like any other, so keep it simple, learn as you go along and try your best to keep it safe, and trust me your best will not be enough sometimes, the other option is to quit and do your affordable errors somewhere else.

Safe flying to everybody the god gifted, experienced, new and specially to the alien pilots.
Learning from mistakes? Yes, of course... But this one seems to crop up a fair bit and its consequences can be very severe indeed.

It's one of the few killers that doesn't (in most airline operations) have some sort of backup warning system, as others have posted. Going to fly into an unexpected mountain? GPS & EGPWS. No flaps? Config. warning. Big storm off the end of the runway? PWS, etc. I'm sure it COULD be done, after all, all it has to do is warn of impending doom: "You're not gonna make it!". Unfortunately it probably died a death somewhere deep into cost/benefit analysis...