PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA's revised GAAP procedures.
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2009, 13:24
mostlytossas

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Say Again, Dispensations as you call them are common place at airports all over the country from the simple right hand circuits due terrain to the more complex. So there should be no fear in that if required.
GAAPS were born in the late 70's due mainly to the introduction of parallel runways and as such "Australian unique" procedures invented to handle them. At 28 you weren't even born then but I was and started flying just after their introduction so trust me. In those days there was no International student flying schools so traffic was much less although private flying was more common.
At the time the system was set up for the benifit of ATC as we would /still do organise ourselves OCTA at an approach point line astern and report inbound all at the same altitude. ATC would only have to note the callsign, usually have you report when closer to confirm the order of arrival, then clear you to land. Problem is they are of no real assistance to anyone at the approach point where they are needed most as this is where the most risk of a midair is. I'm not saying this was an intentsional plan way back then it was just the way the powers that be thought about the system (an ATC view). Remember few ATC's have pilots licences so looking at it from a pilots point of view didn't enter the equasion. With the increase in flying activity over the years this flaw is now coming home to roost.
Yes GAAPS work. But they can be so much better and safer for all.
I say again lets wait and see what is proposed before condemning any change.

Last edited by mostlytossas; 16th Jul 2009 at 13:43.