PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Area vs aerodrome
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2009, 11:53
CJayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi DIAF,

Just going to college myself, but thought I'd give you my thoughts on your post too!

When asked by HR which course I would like to start on, I chose Area. I chose Area mainly because I was under the impression that Aerodrome places were few and far between, but mainly because the likelyhood of ending up at Swanwick seemed far greater, what with the MACC moving to Prestwick etc. Swanwick isn't far from where I live, fit in with family arrangements (I have two children, one of which is at school - didn't want to rock the boat etc) plus offered the greatest job security...obviously subject to validation! However, NATS then threw a spanner in the works...

They called me and transferred me onto Aerodrome.

I was elated! By chance they'd moved me onto the course I'd in my heart wanted all along. I was being careful and thinking of my family's future when choosing Area, but now I found myself on Aerodrome. So yeah, job security has waned a bit (only because of the fact that the Aerdromes are contracted...no competition for Area as stated by another poster), money might well be lower, the potential of having to move has greatly increased but the course is shorter with a higher pass rate and I'd be validated quicker. I have the distinct feeling I will probably enjoy it more because it's what I wanted from the start.

However, the biggest thing is that whilst I was pleased with being moved to Aerodrome I would have been just as pleased as staying on the Area course too because either way I get to control air traffic and that is why I applied for the job in the first place.