PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cheapest helicopter to run?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2009, 11:36
toptobottom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The $/£ rate has shifted significantly since i bought my 44. It cost me appx. £235k including a few bits n bobs, but the same ship would be almost £290k to buy new today.

Assume you do 100 hours as a PPL(H) p.a. Also assume a certain hull value after 12 years and take into account your likely usage over the period you will own the machine and you can easily work out the running costs per hour (if you look on Robinson's web****e, they attempt a similar thing but it's wildly optmistic, of course!).

If you assume an R44 is worth £40k as a timed out hull after 12 years and the cost of a 'standard spec' machine is say £275k to buy new today, the depreciation cost of owning one is (275-40)/2200 = £106 per hour. Add on maintenance, that's 1 x 50hrs plus 1 x 100 hr, an annual and ARC, say £6,500 plus £2,000 for ADs and other unscheduled maintenance, so that's another £85 per hour . Insurance, say £9,000 p.a. so £90 per hour. Finally, fuel (60 litres/hour) and oil, adds £90/hour.

Obviously the cost will vary according to your usage, the timing of scheduled maintenance and 'surprises', but in this case, you can expect a TCO of about £371 per hour. No doubt some people will disagree with my assumptions, but they're welcome to insert their own and do the maths