PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should Civil Airports be used for returns from Afghanistan
Old 16th Jul 2009, 10:17
sooms

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends on the airport faciliites I think...might be interesting for joe public to see 300 sweaty herberts fresh from AFG, if only to illustrate would service personnel really look like after Ops.

On a personal note, post Op Palliser (Sierra Leonne) I travelled back to UK by C130 along with about 40 other assorted herberts from all 3 services.
The route included a fuel stop in the Canary Islands (can't remember the name of the airport but it was the main airport on the island). Amazingly, we were allowed into the (packed) airport terminal, rather than just left standing around while the C130 was fuelled.

None of us had showered or washed our uniforms properly for about 7 weeks so as you can imagine we were a bit 'ripe'- we soon had our own little area in the terminal all to ourselves!! My two travelling companions and I clubbed together our limited finances to buy some coffees only to find out were about 2 bucks short however the young spanish girl on the till let us off the extra. At the time we thought she was being generous..perhaps on hindsite she wanted rid of us as quickly as possible!

We had no problems until we went back through security. We'd all left our personal weapons (under guard) on the aircraft apart from one k##b who still had a 9 milly and 20 rnds in his pocket...major sense of humour failure by airport security!