PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Halon - Commission to propose remove aviation's critical use exemption
Old 15th Jul 2009, 22:37
Wing Commander Fowler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pinkman - Ox blood was utilised in protein foams - a cheaper and earlier type of extinguishant than the more modern AFFF.

Halon has low toxicity (unless exposed to flame at which point that proportion which contacts the heat source becomes highly toxic). I was subjected to exposure in many discharge tests and suffered no apparent side effects other than perhaps shrinking testicles which is how I ended up working for Ryanair....... I was in that industry for 12 years running my own company designing, installing and maintaining fixed systems. Its like will never be known again according to my sources......

FM200 is close but like the proverbial bridesmaid. Pyroshield or Argonite don't profess to compete as installations are so heavy as to be useless in this application (fixed systems) and I doubt that handheld units are available although I stand to be corrected as I have been safely removed from that industry now for some years.

To whoever it was who wondered how much CO2 it would take to be effective on an A330 - ditch the thought. I'm sure you aren't proposing to flood the fuselage and the suppression of an engine fire using CO2 is not an application any self respecting design engineer (or even salesman) would ever consider. I'm sure your comment was tongue in cheek.

I do hope that common sense prevails as our lives stand to depend on this agent.