PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2009, 19:18
PlankBlender

Another vote for YLIL, if it's close there's really no contest. Has everything you'll need and a friendly place from what I know.

Don't worry about learning to fly in older machines, pretty much right up to CPL you'll only need very basic instrumentation, and your dollars will buy more hours if looking at shiny new GPS units and big screens isn't aestethically important to you. Pretty much everything in the CPL syllabus can be done in a very basic aeroplane without many bells and whistles. Yup it's nice to take a great machine for a long nav, but then for those hour building occasions there are plenty of cross-hire options around Melbourne. Not something you need to worry about at first, though.

Once you're up to the instrument rating if that's where you want to go, better equipment becomes more vital (just look at the Benalla accident, a very similar GPS malfunction with a position given by a Trimble 2000 that was dozens of miles out actually happened to me on a training flight, but we had a Garmin 430 also..), but Lilydale has some options there too; I know the owner who hires out his YLIL-based Travelair for advanced training and his is one mighty fine aeroplane