PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wearing uniform in public
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2009, 17:50
racedo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Couple of months ago after the incidents in Luton I was with an old friend from Derry who has led lets say a colourful life, long before I knew him he has thrown the odd petrol bomb or 20 and other stuff in Derry, he has relatives who died from various incidents in 60's and 70's and grew up with what went on there. We leaving a shopping centre and 2 Army guys in Uniform coming in and he opened the door for them.

Knowing his viewpoint on Army and the services generally I asked him why and his comment was, "The War is long over, I'll not forget but not willing to hate all my life, I've attended too many funerals, I may not like them but I respect them for joining up".

Digging a little deeper and said if we went back in and couple of little scroats were spitting at the 2 guys and screaming abuse what would he do, his comment in a way surprised me in saying "grab the army and drag them away, then go back and find the little F*****s and kick the living daylights out of them, I may not like them but well sometimes you gotta do what surprises people".

I have found in the US that if someone wearing the uniform people get upset if its doing sloppy and in UK if people wish to wear it then needs to be done properly as they representing all the services not just their unit. It should be a personal thing that people are comfortable with.