PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Area vs aerodrome
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2009, 15:25
anotherthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goatface:

Area pays more, but it's the same thing every day, by no means as much variety as ADC where you see the aircraft and get to appreciate more readily why things go wrong when they do. Each to their own, there are job specific skills in both trades which are not easily transferable to the other, it's only those who have done both who would be able to appreciate the fine dividing line.
and
It's the best job in the world as far as I'm concerned (although I've never done area)
So your statement that Area is the same thing every days comes from what experience?

DIAF

I've done Area, Tower and Approach and each has its merits. Currently in TC and can honestly say that when it kicks off, it is more challenging than any other controlling I have done. The fact is all ATC jobs have quiet and frenetic times, I think anyone with the mindset to be an ATCO would enjoy any discipline.

Would I change unit now? No way, I enjoy it too much.

However would I be gutted if I was moved to a Tower or Approach unit? Again, nope, because they would also be fun.

If, as it sounds, you are just embarking on ATC and it is with NATS, don't sweat about the discipline you will end up with - just concentrate on getting out of the college and valid at a unit, any unit.