PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wake Turbulence
Thread: Wake Turbulence
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2009, 14:11
callum91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your replies

I'm not sure I would describe it as minor turbulence, either - you don't say how high you were, but I would not want that amount of roll with a stall warning anywhere near the ground - wingdrop plus stall = spin.
I was not more than 150 feet above ground level at the time (my plane climbs slowly) and with the cross wind as well that was of concern to me - needless to say I did push the nose forward as well!

The problem is that in callum's situation there is probably no vortex wake spacing requirement (certainly not a clearly applicable one from the info we have).
I'm almost certain it was an EC 120 helicopter (just looked it up on the company's website) and as you say, if it is Light category, no spacing was required. I must admit, when I saw the helicopter I did wonder whether the controller might wait for wake turbulence.

If you haven't done so already, you can send one of these http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1423.pdf to the CAA. I think it's mostly for research, but it helps towards a better understanding and therefore safer operation for everybody.
I'm not sure if an SRG1423 applies to me since I'm only a PPL holder.

I have learnt for next time that you can get wake turbulence from any helicopter and I think I'll ask to wait in future.

Thanks

Callum