PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA benefits
Thread: BALPA benefits
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2009, 13:10
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rainboe. How many type ratings have you had to buy? Any? Are you still in the situation where you can see your T's and C's being reduced thanks to an influx of people willing to not only work for free, but actually pay for the privilege of going to work?

I have a feeling that you are just trolling here. I cannot imagine ANY professional pilot would think that this situation is good.

We may live in a "free society", however that doesn't mean that it is right to do something. It is a very short term view to think that buying a type rating is good for your career.

It might get you on the ladder, but that doesn't mean that you are necessarily the best candidate. In fact you might be an absolute muppet, but have the ability to buy your way into a job. Leaving someone who might be a far better candidate stuck on the shelf purely because of money.

What happens when it becomes the norm to buy a rating? What is the next differentiator? Working for less, working for free or paying to work? That is exactly the situation we find ourselves in now. Where do we go from here? The downward pressure on salaries has already started thanks to this.

So again, I can't believe that any rational and sensible professional would consider the growth of self funded type ratings to be a good thing. No matter how obnoxious they are trying to be.

It would be better if there were still proper cadet schemes, where there was decent screening and recruitment. That way we wouldn't get the awful situation where people who really aren't suited for the job being conned into parting with tens of thousands of pounds when they really aren't ever going to make it.