PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA288 Emergency at Phoenix
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2009, 12:09
williamd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
apaddyinuk

Williamd, Interesting first hand account. As for the TSA/Security people prior to when you boarded. BA is one of the only remaining european airlines serving PHX (Not sure but I think LH have or are pulling out) and always attracts the huge number of TSA staff as it is sort of a training flight for them. So in answer to your suspicions...no, they was probably nothing going on, they were just looking for something to do. If you think PHX was bad you should see MIA on occasion.

You were wrong to get your luggage, to turn around and swear at a passenger for getting their book was simple hypocriscy. When you went back on stand you could have been on the aircraft for ages (regardless of a situation or not) so there was really no need to join the mob who got up and clamoured for their luggage but at the same time, I suppose its an easy mistake to make.

Can I make it clear (thats why this is in bold), I did not "clamour" for my luggage. When we were told we were returning to stand I told my family to gather up our stuff, which was all in front of us under the seats, as we would be departing the plane via the jetway and as we would almost certainly be spending the night in Phoenix I didn't see the point in leaving passports, cash etc on the plane, especially as there was no panic at this point (a level of anxiety yes). Shortly after that someone shouted fire and then the evac was called. As we already had bags in hand I didn't see the point in spending time putting them back!!

The person who was looking for a book was standing in the ailse, leaning back in to a seat (not the ailse seat), blocking the way of people who were trying to get off a plane when an emergency evacuation had been called. I am pretty sure you wouldn't have been too chuffed about their farting about either.

Of course, you weren't there.

Hate to criticise a fellow irishman (well 50% on my part) but thought I needed to make this clear.