PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guys, Don't Do it.
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2009, 09:24
tropicalfridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When supply outstrips demand for jobs should the experienced guy (which I'm not) tell it how it is at risk of sounding like they are trying to scare off the newguys, afterall we are all competing for the jobs at the moment, and there are only a few months difference between someone with 500hrs on a jet and someone with 300hrs straight out of flight school. Or is it more a case of helping to stop them getting into crippling debt when probability is against them? Perhaps a bit of both if people are being honest.

Whether people started the course for the 'the right reasons' or not isn't really relevant once they are £40-70k down the line. I think most Pilots enjoy the flying side whether their first taste of it was on an integrated course, or uncle bobs flying club down the road. If they don't, then there are plenty of opportunities to bow out during training and plenty of reasons in the current climate.

I did a while in commercial flying, then went back to instructing for various reasons. If I was thinking about going through training now I'd probably hold off doing the ground school, if I'd done the ground school I would hold off the flying training as long as the ground school time limit allowed. But I certainly wouldn't ditch my plans entirely, and I wouldn't waste any money on an FI course without a job agreed before hand.