PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fury at Def Sec over Helicopter Shortage
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2009, 08:04
MaroonMan4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Answers on a post card.....

Some interesting posts, and as always we on this thread start mud slinging without offering a solution. I admit as I believed that that the CH47 line had a significant back log of orders that the options open to DEC ALM and JHC to make a difference within the next 18 months was extremely limited.

However, it is not about helicopters being the total solution but being a part of the solution and providing commanders on the ground the option to move their boots on the ground by air during a patrol or resupply should they wish to. Of course if helicopters become the only method of movement then the enemy will adapt and overcome, but it is the variation of means of manoeuvre that makes the difference - one patrol on foot, one patrol by vehicle, one patrol by helicopter and the numerous permutations in between that can see helciopters bounce foot patrols from grid to grid and if capable (i.e. CH47) can lift vehicle patrols around and add to surprise and mobility, which affords protection.

At the moment although helicopters are not the solution, there is not even the choice for the commander on the ground to routinely elect to manoeuvre his patrol using helicopter lift.

But with some political leverage, will and a true allocation of resources it appears that there may be a 'quick win' to the current and future helicopter shortage. We would have to accept what we have always known in crewrooms and that despite dreaming of Osprey or CH53s or some other platform in the very long winded procurement process that the future UK force mix will be AH, CH 47 and Merlin (with the side show of BRH to ensure that the Fisheads and AW kept a Lynx replacement on track and admittedly the really small one or 2 men moves that the Gazelle used to do that would see Merlin as an over kill).

So with that 'mind set' now over come it appears that there are Merlin availible (potentially more Danish models and the now defunct US EH101 Presendential version) and according to the CHAPS programme more CH47 (to add to our HC3 reversions when eventually they do arrive for tasking).

Theoretically with the correct political will the hardware could be purchased in sufficient numbers very quickly (a few months). This leaves the remainder of the 18-24 month 'UOR' window to train aircrew and engineers in a system that is already established but will just need expanding - and I am sure that if there was a true will that this can be delivered by 24/7 use of Benson Sims and relevant OCUs. Also, whilst the training was ongoing the hardware could be converted to UK specs - all of the technical hardwork and development cost has already been done in the conversion of the Danish Merlins and HC3s, so just use the same templates.

Where do the aircrew and engineers come from I hear you ask? Well again, a bold decision, with short term pain will see significant increase in gain. Stop the inter service willy waving and JHC make the decision - current Puma force to Merlin, Sea Kings to CH47 or split current Puma and Sea King force (one RN Sqn CH47 one RN Sqn Merlin) or just absorb both the Puma and Sea Kings into the current RAF Merlin and CH47 establishment.

As you know I detest the one airforce, one nation rubbish, but I do believe in best practice and if giving the Fisheads a true future amphibious capability also helps current ops then be so it (and may stop me having to go on the boat!) - but if JHC and the DEC believe that the Commando force should be absorbed into the current CH47/ Merlin establishment then again if that is the best practice then someone just make a decision and stop in fighting and get on with it - how long has everyone in the DEC, JHC and IPTs had to talk, discuss and 'navel gaze' about the options - stop the constant 'reviews' and just make a decision.

With a coherent and coordinated push and if we really are serious about increasing lift capability here and now as well as trying to put right some of the under resourcing for the future - Odiham, Benson and Yeovilton could all re-role and increase lift capability within 18-24 months if someone actually made a decision and put their money where their mouths were.

It will be interesting to see whether this is a load of political 'hot air' or if there is a real determination to right the wrongs of chronic under investment that is sadly having an effect on the frontline.

Last edited by MaroonMan4; 15th Jul 2009 at 10:27.