PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 35 knot Crosswind take off. Which wing drops on lift off?
Old 15th Jul 2009, 06:56
framer

Received 494 Likes on 132 Posts
Geeeez rainbow.....you're really hard to be polite to sometimes do you know that?
How we make things complicated!
In a conversation like this, away from the aircraft, it doesn't hurt to think about things and try and figure out exactly what forces are having which effect.
I always ask tham if they know exactly what they are going to do and do they understand it. I find very often it becomes embarrassingly apparent they donīt.
I remember a captain who used to ask questions like that, often when I was half way through a flow or quietly concentrating on something else, normally he'd ask with about ten seconds of spare time before we had to roll or do something else. It was a real pain in the butt. Often I would be wondering "exactly what is this guy asking?" when he would seize the oportunity to display his amazing wealth of knowledge. The same type will often ask you to go and get an ATIS or something similar just as you have begun another task.Basically unaware of their mates activities, hope that wasn't you Rainbow?
If you know better, good on you. I know the way I was taught and works, and I am applying it every week up near the Arctic Circle. It works.
You don't have to defend your method Rainbow,it's not a competition, rather a chance to learn what others think. I'm sure the way you were taught is great, once again, I agree that keeping it simple is smart. ....but surely we can discuss the forces at play without getting defensive?
I'm mystified why a downward force requires opposite rudder.
Well here is an excellent chance to think, learn, and discuss then.
Answer this,
If you were rolling on a calm day and at 100kts put ten degrees of aileron in do you think you would need rudder to keep the centerline?
what do you think? Because if the answer is yes then obviously it is possible to put in so much aileron that you counter the wing lifting and go further. Therefore needing excess rudder.
Once again, my position is that many use too much aileron. I would like to hear what you really think about this rather than just defending your tried and tested and valid technique.
I'm glad you are flying into the Arctic circle it must be fun, I'll keep the bottom half of the globe under control into Wellington and Queenstown every week aye? With the two of us on the job everything should be ok. Cheers, Framer