PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 35 knot Crosswind take off. Which wing drops on lift off?
Old 15th Jul 2009, 01:03
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you hold into wind aileron you are trying to counter the upwind lifting effect.
If you do that too much you achieve this and then start exerting a downward force.
That force requires a slight opposite rudder input to counter. Yes or no?
How we make things complicated! Into wind aileron is ineffective at slow speeds. The effect builds up, just as asymetric wing lift builds up, therefore hold constant aileron on. The technique taught on the 747 was 1 division on the control boss for each 5 kts crosswind. Some people apply more.

I'm mystified why a downward force requires opposite rudder. In a fresh to strong crosswind, are you really going to notice? As you speed up, rudder requirement actually reduces, even in a strong crosswind. I believe in set and forget aileron, rather than try and fiddle with it as you speed up. People amazingly either forget to increase it, or actually, as one pilot did this week, apply downwind aileron. Keep it simple, and don't look for complications. In a strong crosswind, you won't find them- you will be concentrating of flying.

It's all there. If you know better, good on you. I know the way I was taught and works, and I am applying it every week up near the Arctic Circle. It works.