PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA to JAA questions
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2009, 23:36
Raskolnikov

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA to JAA questions

Hello everyone,

I'm a FAA CFI, CFII with about 600 total time, working on adding on the multi-engine to my commercial certificate. My wife is from Austria and we would like to move back there some time soon.

I've looked into a bunch of threads on flight training for JAA. Has anyone done this in Austria? I've been looking into this place: MOTORFLUGUNION KLOSTERNEUBURG - LEARN TO FLY HERE

The distance learning ground school for the 14 written exams is 4,500 Euros, considerably more expensive than CATS. Is it possible to sit the written exams through CATS then do flight training in Austria? Or is it a better option to do all the training through one country? I don't want to ruffle the feather of the Austrian school where I'll likely be doing the flight training.

On the website for the school in Austria is says they will honor my prior experience by my times must be verified. Does anyone know what they mean by verify the time in my logbook? I just enter the time myself after each lesson. So I'm a bit confused by this.

Providing the economy eventually turns back around, what are the odds of gaining employment with a European airline with the JAA ATPL(A)? Is there anything else required? In the US you just need a commercial certificate with an instrument rating and enough hours in the logbook to be competitive for the position. Is it similar in the JAA countries?

Could someone provide a rough estimate for the cost of this FAA to JAA conversion? I know there's a bunch of stuff involved and a lot will depend on my proficiency. Just looking for an estimate to budget for.

Thanks for assisting a first-time poster to PPRUNE.

-Josh