PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Friends of Flt Lt RV Patchett (Deceased)
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2009, 19:56
45-25-25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flt Lt Bob Patchett (Deceased)

I lurked on PPRuNe for many months and your original post forced me to try to register and break my cover. However, my ISP did not pass muster with PPRuNe Admin and by the time I finally got write authority your thread had gone cold. Your latest post has prompted me to share with you my memories of your father.

Bob was my instructor at Valley on the Gnat from Sep-Dec 65. I initially started the course with another instructor, but my progress was poor and I was given to your Dad to save my bacon. It worked! With his calm, encouraging and professional approach he restored my confidence and I was taken off review and passed the course. I was so lucky to have him as my instructor as without his expert guidance I know I would not have graduated. After Valley I went on to the Canberra and flew my first tour in Germany.

I was deeply shocked when I learned of your father's tragic accident and subsequently visited your mother on one occasion when she lived in Boston. She kindly cooked a Sunday lunch and I recall talking to you and your brother.

I owe a great deal to your father and would have wished to come to Bulbarrow Hill on 15 August, but sadly I will be out of the country.

Do please pass on my regards to your mother. Do please contact me by PM if you wish to talk further.