PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2009, 18:09
regle

Hull and Halifax

Yes, Cliff we saw a lot of the Humber and what you say is absolutely true. You didn't need a beam as Hull was perfectly placed to be targeted especially if there was anything of a moon. Just like Liverpool (You really pick your places to live, Cliff ) although the conglomeration of towns surrounding gave it a bit more chance of being missed than Hull.
Apropos the white sweater don't you remember that the taking out of the perspex panel was strictly forbidden....? I think that it was the slab of armour plating that was the main obstruction. My mid upper gunner's life was saved because I made him put the panel back after he had removed it one night and a cannon shell struck it from a ME110 that was attacking us . He was not so lucky afterwards as he was the only member of my crew not to survive the war , foolishly volunteering to stay on Ops when the crew had been screened and being shot down over Berlin one month later.
I remember seeing that you had received a gun when I read your post and was going to ask you about it because it seemed strange to me even then. Did you ever fire it ? All the best, Reg.